Living the life

Living the life
The US tour begins

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Dubai in Haikus

It’s officially hot and humid. I can hack that part. But what I simply cannot bear is when the air gets nasty, like a brown Jell-O salad that's thick, heavy and full of sand. The last thing you want to do is be outside or open your windows. It’s been like that for over a week now and I feel suffocated. My nose is stuffed and I have a throat full of gunk. My eyes burn. My energy level lags and I could sleep for 12 hours a night. I guess this is my payback for enjoying the lovely winter months here while my Midwestern friends suffered with snow.

Last Thursday evening, the start of our weekend, Stan came home and I was like a child. I had been in self-imposed exile, refusing to leave the apartment and expose myself to the dusty air. I was bored, restless and indecisive as to what would lift the cloud I had put above my own head. I was a whiny bitch, complaining, “We never do anything because there isn’t anything to do here.”

So the next night at dinner, Stan was prepared. We’ve been married for nearly 13 years after all. “I have a dinner activity,” he announced. “We’re going to have a haiku contest. The topic is Dubai.” Oh the irony - a haiku is supposed to be about nature.

Nevertheless, here are four of our creations. In keeping with the spirit of the place, I had to censor out a few. Vote for your favorite.


#1

A city of gold

of air conditioners too

and lots of bling bling

#2

palm trees, dates, sunshine

camels in the desert sand

blue water, soft waves

#3

artificial place

soulless city, hummus good

shite summer weather

#4

biggest stuff in world

plastic surgery abounds

beaches hanging on


gulfnews : Rough sea warning for UAE residents

No comments: